Tuesday 18 August 2009

Making a mess of things

I had a complaint in the office yesterday that one of our workmen had made a mess of a carpet in one or our client’s rental properties. “You may care to train your operatives to use dustsheets!” said the customer, haughtily. By way of placation he was assured that the matter would be investigated fully and that those responsible would pay with their lives. Or possibly something a bit milder; I forget.

I later collared the employee in question but as I was berating him he pointed out that the culprit was in fact a tiler who had been in over the weekend. My man had left the place spotless on Friday afternoon and found the floors covered in dried tile adhesive when he got there on Monday. Aha! A perfect ‘pass the buck’ scenario, since the tiler had clearly been employed separately by the client and was nothing to do with us.

The client was called. “In fact,” he was told in Columbo style exposition, “the blame appears to lie with the tiler you had in over the weekend. He must have been a really sloppy worker because he’s made a hell of a mess and, according to my man on site, his workmanship leaves an awful lot to be desired.” Bingo! Blame apportioned, other tradesman denigrated, my firm’s reputation restored. We’re the good guys.

There was a pause. Clearly he was swallowing his pride in preparation for making a deserved apology.

Actually,” he growled, “I did the tiling myself.”

6 comments:

Matt Keefe said...

Ouch.

Gavin said...

Awkward! Did you manage to smooth things over with the guy?

Matt Keefe said...

Plaster over the cracks, you mean?

Graham said...

The subject was hastily changed.

We've since drilled through an electric cable and blown up his fuse board, so we're not counting on his recommendation.

barriejohn said...

He wasn't that guy from Rogue Traders I suppose?

Ariane said...

That is sodding brilliant. Almost as good as "she doesn't look like me - because she's not my child!"