Sunday 17 October 2010

Janice, take a bow

Today I discovered a remarkable project by a woman called Janice Whaley. She has set herself a target to record cover versions of every single record by the Smiths before the end of this year. Why is that remarkable? Because she is doing it purely with dozens of layered vocals to replicate the instrumentation. I thought it sounded a bit naff until I checked it out for myself.

Each song is apparently created with between 30 and 50 separate layered tracks, some of which mimic basic percussion and others that are pitch shifted to resemble basslines. They take about 30 hours each to complete.

Perhaps it's just because I'm such a big Smiths fan myself, but I find them rather amazing. I admire anyone with that kind of dedication to a project, especially when the results are so impressive.

http://thesmithsproject.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Hadleigh said...

Thanks for posting this link Graham, this really is the most interesting and quite simply lovely music I've heard in quite a while!

Graham said...

Glad you like it. I feared I might be preaching to the void on this one.