Thursday 3 June 2010

Duff portrait

My speed painting video of Karen Gillan is a YouTube flop. There are probably videos of people taking a dump that have been viewed more often in a comparable timescale. A sensible person would have taken the hint and moved on, sadder but wiser for the experience. Me? Well, I just thought I'd make another one. Persistence and stupidity are hard to tell apart sometimes.

My subject this time is Hilary Duff, one of America's finest singers and actors. If you decided to look for the point where her talent ends you would be searching in vain, for there is no end to her talent. Cited by just about everyone as the single biggest influence on their career she is, quite simply, a perfect human being and therefore a very worthy portrait subject. She is not, thankfully, just another person who I find quite attractive and decided to paint on a whim. Meanwhile, if you look down, you might just catch my self-respect making a crater in the floor.


Click here to view it within YouTube.

Finished painting can be viewed here, as usual.

4 comments:

Andrew MW said...

very cool again. I love the eyes particularly. Do you do these from a photo? Have you ever tried traditional painting?
cheers

Graham said...

Always from a photo, yes. I haven't tried traditional painting since school and I don't think I'd be very good at it. I'd constantly be looking for the undo button.

Ariane said...

It's fantastic - I wish I could draw. Please keep making them.

Matt Keefe said...

This is really good, Graham. What with my obviously encyclopaedic knowledge of popular culture, I had of course never heard of Hilary Duff. I looked her up on Wikipedia and I could see the likeness to her picture there immediately, which I think is a pretty good litmus test.

I feel you've really captured her the way a portrait should. In her photo on Wikipedia, she has blonde hair, but even with black hair here the likeness was unmistakeable, so whichever the key features are you've identified them and captured them and captured them very well indeed.