Tuesday 19 January 2010

Play at home fun

I was once told by someone that I have good spatial awareness. It sounded good and so I believed it. I've never conclusively proved it to myself, but I'd like to think that my judgement of distance, volume and area is on a par with the greatest minds in the world. All based on this one isolated comment.

The reality, of course, is probably quite different but I'd be interested to know how you fare in the following test.

Using your judgement only, imagine that the four black dots in the corners of the following diagrams are joined to form an X. Your task is to identify which of the coloured dots in the middle represents the intersection of these imaginary lines.

Puzzle one:


Puzzle two:

Puzzle three:

Answers: (reveal by using your mouse to highlight the area below)

Puzzle one - red
Puzzle two - pink
Puzzle three - red

That was fun, wasn't it?

9 comments:

Andrew said...

Hey, three for three! I must be also some kind of spatial-awareness god. Why, then, do I continually stub my toe on any and all available vertical surfaces?

Matt Keefe said...

Two out of three. I chose red every time.

barriejohn said...

I, too chose red every time, but that for me is brilliant, as my spatial awareness is virtually non-existent! If I have to purchase fertilizer, etc, and estimate the dimensions of my lawn, I wouldn't have a clue whether it was ten yards or a hundred yards in length without looking it up or measuring it!!

Ariane said...

Grrrah! I am rubbish and only got one out of three right. Still, I'm a woman and we aren't meant to be good at it. (There I go, bolstering my feminist credentials again.)

Andrew MW said...

That was hard. I chose red, pink, orange and was pleased to see I got 2/3 as well. I also tend to think my visuo-spatial skillz are quite good.

How many did you get Graham? Or did you make this puzzle up yourself?

Graham said...

Interesting. I will analyse the results and publish a highly misleading paper by the end of the week. Thank you for your participation.

Andrew (2) - yes, I made the puzzles myself. This is a slight flaw in the experiment.

Richard W said...

Weird. I chose red every time too.

It'd be interesting if red attracted the (male) eye each time by being such a vibrant colour.

Clearly, we need more of these puzzles to test this!

Matt Keefe said...

I chose red through trying to be a smartarse - red looked like a good bet for at least one of the puzzles, so I glibly told myself it was a trick question and red was the answer to all of them. Wrong! It was a bit bullish I suppose, though - maybe it is a trick of the brain.

Simon said...

1/3 for me but I was on a mobile :-)