Tuesday 22 December 2009

The (cautionary) Winter's Tale

Once a year, after our staff Christmas meal, I go clubbing. I don't like clubbing - I just go to remind myself why I don't like clubbing. Being teetotal as your colleagues get drunker and more argumentative usually means that you have to adopt a peacekeeping role as the night wears on and this year was no different but that's by the by. Going clubbing is not my reason for posting.

This year's foray took place last night, and I was running my usual taxi service (I dubbed it 'The Party Wagon', but this epithet somehow failed to capture my passengers' imagination was we piled into my Ford Fusion). Afterwards, while waiting for a couple of my tired and emotional colleagues to stop screaming at each other and bawling their eyes out so that I could take them home, I found myself standing on some compacted ice. Conscious as I was about the lack of traction offered by my shoes, it was still something of a shock to find myself hitting the deck so quickly and forcefully. With my hands buried deep in my pockets, I had no way of breaking my fall and landed with my full weight on my ribcage. If you've never had a serious rib injury, be thankful because it's one of the most uncomfortable things you can endure. By that I mean that it's fine so long as you don't breathe, laugh, cough or move. Having a nasty cold, then, doesn't help much. I sneezed earlier and needed five minutes to recover.

Consulting some online sources this morning, it appears that there's not much you can do except to take strong painkillers and ride it out. One site suggested that relief could be achieved by applying some ice. Oh, the irony.

It sounds trite, I know - but be careful out there.

6 comments:

Ariane said...

Poor you. Maybe you should recuperate with an iced virgin cocktail while listening to Ice Ice Baby? (Sorry. I do hope you feel much better soon.) x

Simon said...

Yikes, sorry to hear that. Hope you manage to have some quality time off anyway. Looking forward to the new projects.

Matt Keefe said...

Christmas piss-up and it's the sober bloke who falls over. If you get any really heavy presents you'll have to get a small child to help you carry them.

I've done my ribs several times - it's painful and annoying. You can strap them with an elasticated bandage if you want - it doesn't really stop them hurting but does support them a bit in case of jarring from laughing, coughing and all the rest of it. If you've abraded the skin, dress that as normal - it's one less thing to hurt.

Graham said...

Ariane - that's very n-ice of you.

Simon - thanks. At least I have plenty of time to make some decisions.

Matt - worse is that the people I was hanging around waiting for ended up getting a taxi anyway.

Sakira said...

Your article is incredibly useful.Everyday your diary inspire Pine Tree State heaps deal and helped to develop one thing new like I actually have developed a brand new app spotify account this is often great and pleasant.Thanks for the awe-inspiring posts , please keep updated frequently.

Nawazz said...

wow fantastic app you can try Don't Starve: Pocket Edition Mod Apk